Pneumatic Conveying Technologies
An introduction to vacuum and pressure conveying technology for transport of bulk solids materials
Pneumatic conveying is a core technology in the development of bulk material handling systems for the process industries. Pneumatic conveying technologies are divided in vacuum conveying and pressure conveying.
Vacuum Conveying and Pressure Conveying Compared
Both vacuum conveying and pressure conveying systems may employ the dilute phase or dense phase principle of operation. Either pressure or vacuum systems have their advantages, and choosing the best conveying method really depends on the application requirements. Making the best choice my require a material test in a well-equipped test lab. K-Tron offeres free testing and consulation at its test labs in Asia, Europe and the United States.
Often Pressure Conveying Systems are combined with Vacuum Conveying Systems in a single application.
Vacuum Conveying Advantages
- Most often a lower cost system
- Much easier (and smaller) at pick-up
- Less dusting (better containment)
- Less likely to cause temperature problems
Pressure Conveying Advantages
- Better rate and performance
- Much easier for multiple destinations
- Smaller receiver / separator
- Ideal for long distance conveying